What I learned about my brains capacity to remember

This week in AP psych we were asked to take a series of memory tests to see how well our memory worked. I’ve always known that memorization was never my style but the results turned out to be kind of eye opening. So for the first test I had to look at a face for about 30 seconds the recreate it using my memory. The first time I took the test I spent about a minute and half memorizing the face and got 8 out of the 10 bits right. But honestly I think it was just beginners luck. :) I made my choices based on what felt right( it was 7 minutes of switching between choices!). The second I took the test though, I had an idea of what to look for and scored a 10/10 in 30 seconds! (Accomplishment of the century XD!)
But then everything went downhill from there. I took a test in which I was supposed to identify the real penny in the lot and completely picked the wrong one. 

I guess my attention to detail needs a bit of work. But in my defense I haven’t really seen a penny in a long time. 
However the last test was very quite tragic. I was supposed read over a list of 12 words then recall all of them. I took the test twice (over the course of 3 days) and even though the words hadn’t changed I only managed to get 6 out the 12 words right! I did find that the second time I took the test, I remembered most of the words I had forgotten the first time. The only problem was I couldn’t really remember the words I had gotten right the first time :/. Looks like my memory needs some work.

Here’s a link to an article about how the human brain retrieves memories (it does it in reverse order of events!) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MEMES!!!!

Dear AP Psych Student

Yoga the soul excercise